Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Welcome to September!

Dear family,
This year is racing by so fast! I'm glad you are a part of my life. I love you all!
Dad

Wednesday, September 1, 2021
9:25 pm

It's been a good several days. On Saturday we had a summer version of the credit union's pancake breakfast. The turnout was a little smaller than normal, but not tons; probably around 225 people. I was so grateful for my Board and staff. Everyone pitched right in and worked wherever they were needed. It went really well. I'm always grateful for that. We gave away a couple dozen prizes, the weather was perfect, and we were done and cleaned up by 10:30. Good morning.

Spencer and I ran a few errands after breakfast, getting a trombone for Neil and band music for a couple people. Spencer drove to finish getting his required hours to get his license in a few weeks.

Sunday we had a special ward council focused on missionary work and temple and family history work. I want to reinvigorate these two important aspects of our service in the gospel. We discussed ideas to help consultants and ward missionaries know what they should do, and have the confidence to serve in their callings. We still have some decisions to make, but I like the direction we are headed.

I had some interviews after Church, then we all (except Abbie) drove to SLC to pick Jessie up from the airport. She spent a week in California visiting Steph and McKay, then Becca and David with Rachel. After getting Jessie we went to David and Lisa's house for a visit and Sunday dinner. I fell asleep on the couch after dinner. Abbie stayed home to help with a Temple and Family History event.

Monday as I was getting ready to leave work I got a text that a ward member was in the hospital and wanted a blessing. On Sunday I wondered if she was pregnant. Monday I found out that she is 32 weeks pregnant! Hoping she can keep the baby in for five more weeks. Her blood pressure is high, but there are no other issues with preterm labor, so hopefully everything will work out well.

Last night I had two good experiences while visiting with ward members.

With the first one a sister gave me a heads up on Sunday that she wanted to talk about some family concerns, and gave me a brief outline. I wasn't sure how I could counsel her on those things, and had been pondering on that for the two days until our appointment. It turned out she mainly needed someone to listen to her. I did that, and as we were wrapping up, I realized how what I had been reading in D&C 94-97 applied perfectly to her situation. In those sections the Lord repeatedly encourages His followers to prepare a variety of buildings for His presence, ensuring that no unclean thing comes in. Our homes, although not consecrated temples, can similarly be sacred spaces where the Holy Ghost dwells. I encouraged her to intentionally focus on scripture study to invite the Spirit in her home more consistently.

Second experience – I visited with a young man who has submitted his mission papers and is now waiting for my recommendation. Before he came in I was wondering how to approach this interview; I've never recommended anyone for missionary service before. I felt guided in the way I prepared for the interview and also in the counsel and assignments I gave during it. Truly, the Lord guides his Bishops.

Today was a good day at work. The first day of the month, I was working to get our month end reports compiled. We had a very good month by every measure. I also spent time working on some of our major projects we are working on, and I think we made some good decisions.

More later…

That's a lot of sausage!

Abbie was asked out to Homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment