Sunday, August 15, 2021

As busy as I've ever been

Dear family,
The past week has raced past as fast as any seven day period I can remember. Between family, work, and Church, I am as busy as I have ever been. Unlike when I was in college, it is now spread across more classes of responsibility. I'm grateful for the sustaining hand of God to make it possible. Here's an abbreviated recap of the week.
Much love to all!
Dad

Sunday, August 15, 2021
10:01 pm

Writing every night was a nice tradition while it lasted. Now I'm grateful to write weekly. Sometimes even in complete sentences. Not tonight. Recap:

Monday: Worked on the implementation of our new checking account product. We're still a few months away from launch. There's lots to do. The company we're working with has a process that is organized and comprehensive. I wish more of the companies we work with had a similar process. Evening had FHE and it was nice. I did the lesson uncovering a picture of the temple that had pieces of paper with principles related to a "house of godliness." Then we used those same shapes to build a home. The kids were impressed. Score one for the dad, no Pintrest needed! 😊

Tuesday: Meetings at work, trying to lay the groundwork for more changes that are coming. I realized this week at work that I am changing nearly everything. Switching vendors to save cost, improve products, and get better support. We're spending a significant amount of money on Springville; we can't open there and do what we've been doing the way we've been doing it and expect to succeed. Won't happen. Starting NOW to become what we need to be. Had a couple good Bishop visits in the evening with people who have good goals to change and grow. That's encouraging, but it is difficult to see the struggles that some people deal with.

Wednesday: Spencer's last day of early morning driver's ed. More meetings at work. No meetings after work which was a nice change.

Thursday: Temple day! It was so nice to go to the temple again! I can only sign up for one endowment session at a time, and by the time I finish one, it takes a while before I can schedule the next one. But I can also schedule one initiatory session and one sealing session. Thursday is my favorite day to go – I see Bro. Crandall, Bro. Kent, and Bro. Paulsen there. I'm scheduled for the next three Thursdays. Hooray!

Thursday at work was a really productive day. Spent most of it preparing to discuss with employees the new my vision. Scheduled individual meetings for the week of the 23rd so I have time to finish preparing a general introduction plus personalized messages for each employee.

Thursday evening was water kickball for combined YM/YW. Went very well. Seth Puckett came and had a good time. That's the first time he's been to a youth activity in years. Finished with root beer floats.

Friday: Busy morning at work. Met Scott Dunn at Brick Oven for lunch to celebrate his birthday last week. Nice visit with him. Took the afternoon of to go swimming with the kids in Spanish Fork. Temperature was mid 90's – just the way I like it if I'm going to be swimming. Julie stayed home with Nathaniel and Hazel. Too bad she couldn't come but it was so much easier to swim with bigger kids. We went down the slide as much as people wanted. Lines weren't long and it wasn't too crowded. Three hours went by surprisingly fast. Bonus: no sunburns!

Saturday: Chores. Wish those didn't take so long, but they do. Mike Christensen sang in the Salem Days talent show. I went to help video the performance and support him. I was impressed by his dedication. His hands were shaking as he held the mic, but he put everything he had into it. I was apprehensive for him before it began, but it turned out to be a pretty good experience. I enjoyed his cover of Magic by Coldplay more than some of the original songs by other bands that performed!

Cleaned the kitchen and prepped agendas etc. for today's meetings until almost midnight, then finally got to sleep.

Today: Church was good. Technical difficulties getting the Zoom meeting launched. YW sang a number and it was really nice. Emma gave a talk in Primary. We didn't take time to help her prepare well, so I ended up writing her talkf or her. It wasn't an optimal outcome. Need to do better next time. Had a bunch of interviews, including an impromptu one to strengthen a brother who longs to be healed from past abuse. I feel God's love for His children, regardless of their circumstances. The gospel of Jesus Christ truly is a hospital for the weak, sick, and broken. He accepts us as we are, then changes us for the better. There's no such thing as "too broken" to come to Jesus. The only thing I can think of that really keeps us away is "too stubborn." Also had a great visit with Pres. Brinkerhoff. I always love visiting with him.

Tonight enjoyed a wonderful dinner (got the green beans perfect this week after messing them up a few times in a row.) Did a nice activity from Come, Follow Me learning about D&C 88:119-126 in the afternoon. Didn't fall asleep on the couch, although it was close! Read about a Christian organization to which we donate that is working to alleviate suffering. Was sobering the challenges they are working to address. Led to some tears from several people, including Emma worried about bad guys near our home. Tried to reassure her. Then discussing drugs while learning about the Word of Wisdom didn't help. She's sleeping in our bed now. That's something I need to do pronto.

More later…


No comments:

Post a Comment