Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Lightning!

Dear family,
It's bedtime. I love you all!
Dad

Wednesday, August 18, 2021
9:42 pm

Mid-week journal entry! Monday we had a really nice FHE with Dad, Mom and Randy. We played a version of the throwing-a-thimble-full-of-water-on-someone game, but I changed it to give a piece of candy instead. I though that would be an improvement until I tried to end the game. Everyone still wanted more candy; people aren't so excited to get water thrown on them. Dad shared his experience blessing his father before he passed away. It was a tender experience. The lesson was good and Spencer served us all ice cream for dessert.

Yesterday I had lunch with the CEO's of Alpine, Nebo and Pacific Horizon CU's. We get together once a month for lunch. It's interesting – Paul (Alpine) is currently serving as Bishop of his ward and Dale (Nebo) was Bishop of his ward until recently. We always end up talking about Church stuff for a while. The First Presidency last week sent a letter to all Church members encouraging us all to receive the COVID vaccine. It has been surprising and disheartening to hear of many Church members who are struggling with this counsel.

Reid and I visited the Van Horn's and Simons last night, and also chatted with Rio Davis for a bit. All the visits were really nice.

Last night there was a huge thunderstorm. Somewhere in the middle of the night there was a tremendous boom as lightning struck somewhere very close. This morning when I got in my car, every warning light on the dashboard was on and the computer display cycled through warnings for every system notifying me that there was a problem with everything. The lightning was so close it scrambled the car's computer. Fortunately it was fine after the techs reset it.

Today was the first day of school. I'm really happy that the kids all seemed to have a good day. I was especially happy that someone Isaac met today invited him to play soccer at recess. The kids were all a little apprehensive about starting school since everyone except Abbie moved to a new school. Tender mercy.

I had lunch with Taylor Nadauld, a professor from BYU, and three of his colleagues. They are interested in several consumer-finance questions, and they picked my brain for 90 minutes on a variety of subjects. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Temple first thing tomorrow. More later…


No comments:

Post a Comment