Sunday, August 23, 2020

The day I wore mismatched socks

Dear Mark,
Today was full.  I started in High Council meeting this morning, then joined the EQ presidency in the 4th ward for their meeting.  They are good men who are doing good work in their ward.  I felt good about being there because I offered a suggestion related to how they would conduct their ministering interviews.  My thought led to an idea that will help them in their interviews.  That was gratifying.
I came home and got our pork roast in the crock pot.  Today's dinner had a secret ingredient - pineapple juice in place of apple juice.  It was very tasty.  I also made roasted veggies so Jessie could have something in place of mashed potatoes.  I forget how much I love those roasted vegetables.  They are amazing.
During dinner tonight we watched the Come and See event from Jessie's mission.  I am always impressed by the quality of their events.  After the fireside they ran some "commercials" the missionaries did.  There is an amazing amount of talent..  The kids watched their favorite commercial a couple extra times.
This afternoon Spencer and I made a ministering visit to Erik Watkins.  It was a good visit.  He is getting ready to start at BYU in the fall, about the same time I will be working on the Self-Reliance program.  We agreed to be "accountability partners" for each other.  I'll follow up on his schooling, he'll check with me on my progress in the "Building your business" session.  I hope it will help us both.
I worked on the stake financial audit this afternoon.  The Church has started implementing all the technology changes I wished for when I was in the Bishopric - scanning receipts, paying reimbursements via direct deposit, logging authorizations electronically.  Maybe some day I'll be called as a financial clerk. 😇
Tonight I gave Neil and Camilla the last of the father's blessings at the start of the school year.  Sadly, Emma doesn't want one again.  I think she is embarrassed by them.  So I pray for her, but I hope to help her become more comfortable asking for and receiving these blessings.
I can't believe we get to talk to you again tomorrow.  Time goes fast, and these new mission rules make the weeks seem to go even faster.  The kids prayed for your friend who agreed to come to church with you, and we all thanked God for your kind neighbor.
Thankful: Tonight I'm thankful for flourless peanut butter chocolate cookies.  Jessie made them for us, and they gave me hope for all the people in the world who can't eat gluten.  Those cookies are a golden delicacy of hope to anyone in need of a pick-me-up, regardless of your gluten profile.
Ministering: It felt good to minister to Erik today.  We all have challenges.  Some are "not fair."  I can be empathetic, non-judgmental, and loving, regardless of what others face.
More later...

PS - While getting dressed this morning I discovered that my black socks were mismatched, but that fact was impossible to discover unless you were the one wearing them.  So, I cheerfully wore my mismatched socks and had a successful day.  That's about as rebellious as I get! 😎

The neighborhood honeybees really like our sunflowers!

We had several musical numbers today.  Not this photo, but earlier Jessie was playing the musical number she played last month for her mission fireside, with Abbie playing one part on her violin and Spencer playing another on his clarinet.  It was delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment