Thursday, January 7, 2021
8:54 pm
Yesterday was the most disgraceful day of my life. Midday as Congress was certifying the votes of the electoral college, a mob of Trump supporters overran the Capitol building, damaging property and disrupting the process. Trump had delivered a speech earlier in the day inciting such action. The Capitol building was evacuated and put under lock down, and it took hours to secure the building. In the end, four people died, including one Capitol police officer. It may be the most shameful betrayal of the Constitution and our freedom in the history of this country. Not since the British burned the Capitol in the War of 1812 has the building been so desecrated. And that was by an acknowledged foreign enemy in an act of war, not by so-called patriots acting at the behest of a sitting president.
Last night we held a Temple and Priesthood Orientation meeting for the incoming Deacons and young women. Several of us played a role. I told a parable of a journey and related it to the covenant path we are on. I think the entire meeting went well and was happy with the results. Then I met with Brittaney Baldwin and Steven Lewis, a couple for whom I will perform a marriage ceremony on Saturday. Finished with bishopric meeting. Sadly I didn't sleep too well because every time I half-awoke, I started thinking about the fiasco in the Capitol again.
Today was quite productive. I finished dealing with an accounting problem caused when we switched HR providers and closed the GL for December. I worked on a real estate loan. As much as possible, I included other employees in the projects to build their skills. I am trying to work out how we are going to rearrange our staffing in preparation for our Springville branch. I think I am realizing that I don't want to replicate what we have here. Rather, I want to reorganize our staff to focus in a different way on meeting members' needs. But I don't know how to do that yet…
Thankful: I am thankful that extended family members are recovering from COVID. Mom said that Dad continues to slowly improve. Scott's wife Stephanie was admitted to the hospital with low oxygen and for monitoring. She was released today, albeit with oxygen. I'm glad she was able to come home, and that our family has been spared COVID. I pray that this blessing will continue, and am trying to be as careful as possible.
Ministering: I sent text messages to a bunch of people today to let them know I was thinking of them and see if they have any needs.
More later…
I wore Mom's favorite tie to work yesterday.

No comments:
Post a Comment