Sunday, January 10, 2021

No more Secret of NIMH

Dear family,
You are all amazing!
Mark, would you please add Scott's wife Stepphanie to your prayers?  Their family contracted COVID and she is in the hospital with pneumonia.  I believe the prayers of a missionary carry special weight in heaven.
Much love to all,
Dad

Sunday, January 10, 2021
8:47 pm

Yesterday was a full day.  Started with chores around the house and cleaned the basement again.  Then Spencer and I went to Santaquin to help do some finishing work on a home Peter Jordan is building.  We put up a ceiling fan.  It was nice to have Spencer's help and I felt good about being able to help.

After helping at the Jordan's I performed a wedding for Brittaney Baldwin and Steven Lewis.  It's the first time I've ever done that; next time I'm going to remember to invite them to exchange rings.

In the evening David and family came down for dinner and to finish celebrating Emma's birthday.  We had delicious turkey noodle soup.

Today was good.  I woke up with Nathaniel about 4:40 am.  By the time I got him back to sleep it was nearly time to get up for my 6:00 am bishopric meeting.  I confess that I didn't feel terribly cheerful on my drive to Church.  I prayed for help to feel better, and noticed the help I needed.  Our meetings before Church went well.  I am happy about that.

Spencer gave a talk in sacrament meeting today; he did a good job talking about how he draws closer to Jesus Christ as a holder of the Aaronic Priesthood.  Amber Hillock also spoke following her mission.  Then I joined Spencer at the sacrament table as he blessed the sacrament in Church for the first time.  It was a great experience.  Brad Nusink caught me after Church and told me how much he appreciated seeing that; he felt it was a great example of being a father and serving alongside a son.  I was happy for that.  I can't take credit for the idea; I think Reid was the one who suggested that fathers join their sons the first time they bless or pass the sacrament.  Next week Caleb Ober will bless the sacrament and his dad will join him.

We set apart most of the new Aaronic Priesthood quorum presidencies this afternoon.  We did a family scripture activity, had a family council about choosing to speak kindly to each other, then did a scripture scavenger hunt that Spencer and Neil came up with.  Then I fell asleep on the floor for 45 minutes.  Ate dinner, then read Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.  We decided that this book is too mature for the little girls; I'll give them an abbreviated version of the rest of the book tomorrow and let Neil and Isaac read it on their own.  Bedtime books that invite adrenaline are a terrible idea.

Thankful: We held individual Aaronic Priesthood classes this afternoon in place of a big group meeting.  I'm glad the quorums are now appropriately sized to let us do that.  We discussed the logistics of breaking the bread and offering the sacrament prayers.  We also planned a YM activity this Wednesday.  We haven't had consistent weekday meetings for the YM for a very long time.  I feel that this is important to resume.

Ministering: I hope I was able to minister to the young men in the ward today.

More later…

How many cousins does it take to blow out birthday candles?


No comments:

Post a Comment