Friday, October 30, 2020

Raindance, freezer, and a closed lobby

Dear Family,
As I write this email entry, I am sitting outside the kids' bedroom doors (they're not sleeping, or anywhere close to it) and Mom and Abbie are downstairs chatting with Mark.  So some of you can read this in near-real time together! :)
Looking forward to a great day tomorrow clearing out the tomatoes etc. and giving the lawn its final mowing of the year.
Love to all!
Dad

Friday, October 30, 2020
8:46 pm

Today was not a good COVID day – there were over 2,200 new cases in Utah, and the state issued an emergency alert that the state's ICU usage is dangerously close to capacity.  For the past several days I've wondered why our lobby was closed all summer when the cases ranged between 300-500 per day, but now that the cases are four to six times as high the lobby is open.  I was thinking about closing the lobby and had actually started an email the Board sharing plans to close next week when the alert came through.  That pushed me over the edge, and we closed the lobby today at 4 pm.  I don't think it will reopen until Utah County is out of the "High Transmission" range, which probably won't be until spring.

In other news… Julie noticed yesterday that the freezer under the fridge was not working well.  This morning I checked it and it was essentially a fridge.  The ice cream was melted and everything was cold but thawed.  I called Peter Jordan (ward member who owns an appliance repair business) and asked if he would take a look at it.  By lunchtime he had diagnosed and fixed it.  He told Julie, "I usually charge $350 for this service, but I'm okay if you pay me whatever you think is right."  I so appreciate that generosity and goodness, and I also appreciate the fact that without having to talk to me about it, Julie knew it was "right" to pay $350 for the repair, and that we have the money to do it.  It's all fixed again and things are getting cold.

Tonight the kids were wiggly, so after dinner we played Raindance while listening to fast music.  We decided that it works best to have Emma and Camilla on a team. Everyone had fun, and only Camilla needed an ice pack when she bonked her head on the couch.

One funny thing – I had a dream last night that I was laughing at something funny.  I laughed and laughed and laughed, until my sides hurt and I couldn't breathe.  I woke up smiling, enjoying the memory of a wholesome laugh, even if it was only in a dream.  I wouldn't mind that dream every night.

Thankful: I am so thankful for modern conveniences, and for the means to provide for the needs of our family.  When something needs to be done, we can do it.  That was not a blessing we enjoyed when I was young.  I only hope that my kids don't grow up without understanding the need to budget, sacrifice, and delay gratification.

Ministering: Sadly, the woman I mentioned in yesterday's entry is still struggling with great uncertainty and a scary future.  I spent about an hour working on her situation today.  We didn't get anything resolved today and won't have some of the information we need for about a week.  It's not a good situation. 

I also received a text today from Guy thanking me for the note I sent him earlier in the week.  Tomorrow I need to check in with the Briggs family again.

More later…

Some photos of tonight:

Trying to see Nathaniel's tooth.  Epic fail.


Reading scriptures while wearing undies on your head...  What?  Don't you do that?


Nathaniel found a great chew toy.


No comments:

Post a Comment