Wednesday, April 7, 2021
11:22 pm
I've had the last two days off for spring break, taking tomorrow off too. Yesterday I wanted to use some very old bananas to make banana muffins, but Emma wanted banana bread. I ended up using my muffin recipe for bread, and it worked great. In the afternoon we went to the BYU Museum of Art and made up a scavenger hunt for each other. Divided into three teams. I worked with Isaac; that was just fun. He's such a good boy. Nathaniel and I spent time climbing stairs once he was done riding in the stroller. It was a nice break after spending much of the morning folding laundry. In the evening I had an interview at Church, made a visit to the Robinsons, and had bishopric meeting.
Today I tried to make a quick trip to Costco. There's no such thing. Started when I got in line to fill Bertha with gas. The old gentleman in front of me was having trouble figuring out the cards to turn the pump on. I was done filling my 30 gallon tank before he started filling his. Fortunately that was the extent of my problems today.
We had a hot dog roast for lunch today. I got pineapple, strawberries, and raspberries at Costco and they were delicious. I put Nathaniel down for a nap while Julie and Grandma took the kids on a scooter excursion. While Nathaniel slept I plowed through 100+ emails so I won't have to face them all when I go back to the office on Friday.
Jessie was released as a missionary tonight. The entire family joined her with Pres. Brinkerhoff at the stake center. It was a little chaotic, but was so nice to be there. I am so grateful for her service. It did not look like we expected, but has been a blessing to her. I am in awe of how God can use our experiences – the good ones, the hard ones, the planned ones, and the unexpected – and use them to teach and mold us. Jessie's art talent has blossomed and her vision for college and career has changed. Although she would have been a fine chemist, I think her artistic focus will tap into her passion and allow her to make a much bigger contribution in the world.
Jessie isn't the only one who has grown and been changed by her mission. My eyes have been opened and my heart has been softened in ways I never would have imagined because of what I have experienced. I hope I am a better man, more gentle husband and father, and compassionate bishop.
Speaking of such things, I have really been thinking since General Conference this past weekend – I'm ready for a change. I'm done doing things my way. For roughly three decades I have served in Jesus Christ's church the way I thought I should. And I think I've made a positive impact and blessed lives. But too much of it has been me doing things for Jesus. I want to move to a higher, holier way of service. I want to intentionally do things with Jesus for my brothers and sisters. I really want to be guided by Him and do whatever he says to do. That's not worded quite right, but it's close enough. I think the next step is getting better at hearing his voice through the Holy Ghost and acting promptly.
Where does he want me to start this practice? I think at home with my family. They are the most important to me, and fortunately they love me and are patient with me and can help me figure this out.
More later…
No comments:
Post a Comment