Monday, February 1, 2021

Two for One

Dear family,
I had just finished my journal entry last night and was getting ready to compose an email when my laptop battery died.  So today you get a two-for-one special.
Mark, it was nice to listen to your conversation sporadically.  Sorry I couldn't participate more; the firewall problems demanded my attention.  Fingers crossed that it is fixed now.
One item I think you mentioned was feeling frustrated when you can't bring the Book of Mormon into conversations with honest people who don't want to bash, but who have sincere concerns about the restoration.  One idea - just as these people respectfully share their honest concerns, you can return that respect with a heartfelt request that they let you share a couple of your favorite passages from the Book of Mormon.  You can explain that you're not sharing this because you expect it to convert them or prove your point, but if they really want to understand why we believe what we do, nothing will help them understand that better than hearing a couple choice passages. Not everyone will accept that invitation, but the honest in heart may be willing to listen to understand your point of view.  You share, let the Holy Ghost do the rest.
Much love to everyone,
Dad

Sunday, January 31, 2021
9:04 pm

Yesterday was chore day, and we got a lot done.  In the afternoon, Bro. Crandall and I took the last of our popcorn invitations out to the priests for Wednesday's activity.  I was holding Nathaniel when he came to pick me up; Nathaniel let it be known that he had no intention of letting go of me, so he came along.  It was nice to have him with me.  When I got back, Julie and the kids were watching Look to the Sky, an inspirational documentary by Brett Culp.  He tells uplifting stories about people who make a difference in the world.  It was a good way to spend the evening.

Today was a good day, but really busy.  I left for my first meeting this morning at 5:50, was home for 45 minutes during a short break before coming home just before 5:00 this evening.  I am really happy with what we accomplished today.  Bishopric and Ward Council were good.  I had a good interview with a ward member, and we had our first Priest Quorum presidency meeting and Ward Youth Council meeting.  Both of those last meetings gave me an opportunity to start mentoring our youth leaders.  As a Bishopric, we have primary responsibility for the young men and young women in the ward.  One of the best ways I can think of to change their lives is to give them experience leading.  If they can develop this skill and use it effectively, they will be that much more powerful as adults.

After those meetings I had a brief respite at home before going to the Stake Center for bishops training with the stake presidency.  They are wonderful men; I took lots of notes at our meeting with ideas to implement in our ward.  A thought occurred to me regarding my experience the first couple weeks after I was set apart as the Bishop.  Those first few weeks were intense, with some significantly challenging issues that are not yet resolved.  I was on the phone with Pres. Brinkerhoff every couple of days seeking guidance and counseling together.  That crucible helped me come to know and love my Stake President even more, and I think it helped me develop a better understanding of how the Lord carries out His work to bless His children.  I'm grateful for the lessons I am learning.  And also grateful that that level of intensity is not the norm.

Tonight Dad, Mom and Randy joined us for dinner.  It's the first time we've had them over since before Dad contracted COVID.  It was really nice to be together again.  The pot roast was excellent, and the roasted veggies were amazing.  After dinner we had a hymn-along.  I read scriptures and a chapter of Cricket in Times Square. I sure enjoy reading to my kids.  Even though it was well past bedtime, I even got a smile from Julie as I "performed" a passage with voice inflections and personality.  Now poor Isaac is lying in bed, complaining that he is "bored."  Oh well.

Thankful: Today.  Nothing about today was "perfect," but everything about today was nice.  And in mortality, that's definitely something to be grateful for.

Ministering: I hope I ministered to the youth in our ward through the meetings we held.

More later…

Monday, February 1, 2021
9:30 pm

I had big plans when I got to work today, but some computer problems stole most of the day from me.  Fortunately none of them were showstoppers, and I think we got everything taken care of by the end of the day.

Thankful:  The best thing about today was going to the doctor for a checkup ultrasound for Julie.  It was great.  The baby is growing and is about 5 days ahead of previous estimates.  Blood sugar and blood pressure were both fine.  The doctor said the way things look now, he thinks we won't need to induce at 37 weeks but can wait until 38 or 39 weeks.  That puts us roughly between Rachel's birthday and mine.  While we are excited to bring this new one home, we are more eager to let lungs fully develop and avoid a visit to NICU like we had with Nathaniel.  I feel so thankful that things are going well.  Truly our prayers are answered over and over again.

Ministering: Does working on the agenda for tomorrow evening's bishopric meeting count?  Packing lunch for my kids?  🤷‍️

More later…

I asked the kids to compact the recycle bin tonight.  Once they had stomped the cardboard below the level of the lid, they took turns lying in it and getting rides up and down the driveway from Spencer.  What sillies.


No comments:

Post a Comment