Sunday, December 27, 2020

Ice cream by candlelight

Dear family,
Read on for today's thoughts.  I sure love you all and hope you know how important you are to me.
Love,
Dad

Sunday, December 27, 2020
9:43 pm

I feel good about what I accomplished today, but at the same time I don't feel like I was as prepared as I should have been.  My personal scripture study has been lacking.  I still read the scriptures every day, but it's only reading, not anything deeper.  I need to improve my efforts to study the scriptures consistently.

I am happy that we called Calvin Crandall as our Priest Quorum Advisor today.  In the eight and a half years we have lived in this ward, Calvin has had a stake assignment the whole time.  I feel strongly that we need his leadership, experience, and love to direct the Priests in our ward.  With this calling, I think we may have our young men's program staffed with all the right people.

This is a critical time for our youth.  A dozen years ago we had the Great Recession.  In many parts of the country this led to a "baby bust" as couples delayed having children.  The education system is now dealing with this decline in student populations.  Mark Bernards and I talked about this a little yesterday, and the fact that this will hit college campuses in the next five years.  It occurred to me today that COVID may have a similar spiritual effect on today's youth.  If they are spiritually malnourished as a result of the restrictions we have dealt with this year, we may experience a "valiance bust" in coming years.  I feel a great responsibility to help reinforce the teaching our youth receive at home and provide meaningful support to parents and youth.  In addition to a testimony, we all need to be converted to the Savior Jesus Christ.  That doesn't happen without concerted effort and a plan to do all we can to bring the grace of God into our lives.

This afternoon I met with the missionaries by Zoom to discuss those in our ward who are less active or not members.  It was amazing to me that I knew something about almost every person they asked about.  I guess attending Ward Council nearly every week for seven of the past eight years gives a pretty good feel for who is here.

After dinner today we tried a new activity that worked out quite well.  I put a dozen or so random props in a bag, then drew out one prop at a time to use in acting out the nativity story.  Some of the situations were really funny – sunglasses came out just in time for "the glory of the Lord shone round about."  Then we enjoyed ice cream by candlelight for dessert.

I finished reading Charlotte's Web to the kids tonight.  Neil is especially excited to start our next book. For Christmas I got Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM.  Neil has never read it before (gasp!).  It will be fun to read him something new.  I think I may have to hide the book during the daytime! 😊

Thankful: I am thankful for scriptures, for prophetic teachings, and for the opportunity to recommit to making these things a priority in my life each day.

Ministering: I interviewed several young men today to be ordained or advanced in the priesthood and submitted two patriarchal blessing recommends.

More later…

Spencer was very proud of Nathaniel's "turban."


Dessert by candlelight


No comments:

Post a Comment