Tuesday, December 15, 2020
10:51 pm
Yesterday was very good. Got lots of "little rocks" done in the morning, then had Board meeting in the afternoon. The meeting went very well. I'm grateful for a good job and for a Board that trusts me. Iin the evening we had FHE and did the Christmas store. I played with Nathaniel and the kids that weren't in the "store" with Julie. It felt nice.
Today was a busy day that went incredibly fast. I made good progress on several items at work, and that felt really good. The morning was especially productive. Enjoyed a leadership webinar this afternoon. The speaker talked about the power of stories, and recommended that every leader should identify four true stories from their life they can share with others. The stories should be in the following categories:
1. Power – A story of significant achievement.
2. Pain – A story of unmitigated pain.
3. Promise – A story of absolute potential.
4. Purpose – A story of unbridled hope.
This was part of a webinar series, and was one of the best sessions I have attended yet. I'm glad I took the time.
I also talked with the FBI regarding a situation that happened a couple years ago. We caught someone engaging in fraud and submitted a report. It has taken two years for them to investigate, and they told me today that this was much larger than anyone anticipated, involving hundreds of accounts across the country. Many people have been arrested and indicted in conjunction with the case, and a guilty verdict is not in doubt. They thanked me for my report; I got the feeling the information I provided was particularly valuable in their investigation. I just feel bad that these bright, talented law enforcement officers have to devote so much of their time to stopping bad guys. Imagine what they could contribute if instead of having to focus on stopping bad, they could create good. Some day…
Tonight I "finished" tithing settlement interviews, but will make phone calls to several people that didn't come in that I would like to talk to. We also delivered Christmas gift boxes from the Kiwanis Club to ten families in the ward. That was a good experience. There is so much sadness in the world, but also a tremendous amount of kindness and goodness.
Thankful: I am thankful for the ideas that came to me during scripture study today. I studies Moroni 10:3-5 and gained several insights. I was happy for that. I am also thankful that Mom came over tonight to help put kids in bed while I was doing Bishopric stuff. That really made a difference.
Ministering: I loved being able to visit with lots of ward members today, both in person and online. It was a good day.
More later…
Notes from today's study of Moroni 10:3-5
Thoughts on verse 3
Moroni's promise is some of the most important verses in the Book of Mormon. Thoughts on the meaning of the phrases in these verses:
Wisdom in God - The fact that we have this book is a blessing from God. Generations have lived without the knowledge and testimonies contained herein. For some reason, God saw fit in His wisdom to allow me to have these words. Don't take this for granted.
Remember how merciful the Lord hath been - The scriptures recount God's ongoing mercy for His children. Regardless of their disobedience, he continues to reach out to them with an invitation to repent. The Book of Mormon is another demonstration of God's mercy for His children.
From the creation of Adam - The Book of Mormon contains very few stories outside the Nephite civilization. This is a direct invitation from Moroni to ponder the teachings of the Bible.
Ponder - It is not enough to read, or even to read carefully. We need to ponder the things we read. The definition of ponder includes to "think about (something) carefully, especially before making a decision or reaching a conclusion." God doesn't just want us to think about the Book of Mormon; He wants us to reach a conclusion about the book. (More on this in verse 4.)
Thoughts on verse 4
When ye shall receive - I think the word "receive" here is used the same way as the command to "receive the Holy Ghost." It is something we actively take into our lives. It's not enough to have the Book of Mormon, or even to read it. We need to receive, or accept it.
Ask God...in the name of Christ - All prayers are to be in the name of Jesus Christ. That is especially important in the case of this book which is another testament of Jesus Christ. He would be anxious to testify of the truthfulness of this record.
If these things are NOT true - Don't ask, "Is this true?" Instead ask, "It's true, isn't it?" or "Isn't it true?" This phrasing includes an implicit assumption that it IS true.
Sincere heart and real intent - To receive an answer, we have to really want to know for the right reasons and intend to take action on the answer we receive.
Faith in Christ - We don't ask with faith in Joseph Smith or the current prophet or our parents or youth leaders or anyone else. We ask this question with faith in Jesus Christ.
Manifest the truth - He will make the truth plain or clear, but it may come in a way that is unexpected.
By the power of the Holy Ghost - This is how the manifesting will happen. It (likely) won't come by direct angelic visitation, and it won't come from a friend, neighbor, missionary, minister, or website.
Thoughts on verse 5
Know the truth of all things - Once we receive this answer and act upon it, we will be able to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. As our constant companion, the Holy Ghost then can continue to teach us the truth of all things. While the Holy Ghost serves as the "light of Christ" to all people, having His constant companionship gives us the opportunity to accelerate our acquisition of truth. It is our responsibility to learn to recognize how the Holy Ghost communicates with us and cultivate that relationship.
The awesome t-shirt Jessie got from Grandpa and Grandma

No comments:
Post a Comment