Sunday, November 15, 2020

Joy in the service

Dear family,
I thought of each of you today and hope you know how much I love you.
Dad

Sunday, November 15, 2020
8:30 pm

Today was a full day, and I enjoyed it very much.  Started with Bishopric meeting then Ward Council.  There wasn't enough time to cover everything, but I think we did some good and made some assignments.  I had interviews today and felt the power of revelation as I received specific ideas that I could use to help the people I was visiting with.  I am amazed and grateful for the power the Lord gives his Bishops. I've heard this for years, but it is totally different experiencing it.

At home I helped with dinner and played family go fish with Emma, Camilla and Isaac.

Thankful: I am thankful to be a Bishop.  It is hard work.  I worry about so many people who struggle in so many ways.  It takes a lot of my time, and I worry about that time away from my family.  But it is an opportunity to experience the Lord's care in a new and wonderful way, and to participate in his care for his children.

Ministering: I met with several people today and ministered in a way I had not expected.  As they shared the temptations they struggle with, we made a simple list – what are the "Triggers" that contribute to behavior they do not want to engage in, and what is an effective escape plan to help them avoid acting on those impulses?  The escape plan includes three basic steps:

1.       Think of someone you admire and who loves you.  Could be Jesus Christ or a family member.

2.       Engage in a wholesome activity.  This list will vary depending on the person, but the basics are the same – get your mind and body doing something good instead of dwelling on the unworthy behavior.

3.       Daily accountability.  Each day tell a parent, spouse, friend, or other trusted person how you did during the day.

It was so simple, and yet it seems like it could be really effective.  I think this is a template I will use often during my service.

More later

The sunrise this morning as I arrived at Church was really beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment