Thursday, November 12, 2020
9:44 pm
Record number of COVID cases in Utah today – over 3,900. The high school announced today they are going to split days, meaning only half the student body comes each day. Monday will be A day for half the school, then Tuesday A day for the other half. Nobody has classes on Wednesday, and Thursday and Friday are the other half of the classes. (Or some variation of that mix.) So Abbie will only go to school two days each week and only have each class once per week. Once she gets off quarantine, that is. Church can still happen, but we are limited to fewer than 100 people and all our leadership meetings are going to happen virtually.
I am amazed that some people still think COVID is a hoax or some government plot to take over our lives. I visited with Holly Pike this week; she is a nurse in the ICU. She can testify that this virus is not a hoax. Makes me shake my head in disbelief to see that some people refuse to believe something because they don't like it. I used to think Isaiah was exaggerating when he described how society would struggle in the last days with recognizing truth. I don't think that anymore.
I got a lot done today at work, and that was really nice. And tomorrow I'll have everyone in the office. COVID cancelled a trip Stacy was going to take, and Suzanne will be back since her husband Ryan's COVID test came back negative. I'm really glad, and plan to celebrate by letting everyone else do their jobs well so I can do mine. Great plan.
Tonight I was nearly home when my phone rang. I answered, and it was Abbie. After her first sentence I knew something was wrong, just by the tone of her voice. Fortunately it was nothing catastrophic – three stitches were all Spencer's finger needed after accidentally running it past the router bit. But poor Spencer got the same gene Mark has related to blood and pain – he passed out before I got home and was still totally woosey and incoherent as Abbie and I drove him to the doctor's office. He came home, ate dinner, and went right to sleep.
Tonight I am ministering to Julie. As soon as I finished reading to the kids I took Nathaniel and sent her to her craft room with Abbie to make cards.
Thankful: I am so grateful for the hope that comes through the gift of the Holy Ghost and the atonement of Jesus Christ. I spent some time this week reviewing resources to help others overcome pornography or other addictions, and felt both an increased resolve to keep myself clean and worthy, and a strong desire to help others either stay that way or become clean again through repentance. Just as Isaiah wasn't exaggerating when he described people mixing up black and white, he also wasn't exaggerating when he described Jesus' ability to restore crimson-stained sinners to purity as white as wool. Without that certainty, there would be no point in my serving as Bishop or any of us trying to be good, because we all fall short of the glory of God.
Ministering: I think Camilla is finally asleep, so I can leave my laptop upstairs playing soft music while Julie and Abbie make cards. I'm going to go listen to a Conference talk and fold laundry! (Party animal to the core!)
More later…
Yeah, Spencer was so out of it, Julie had to hold his head up while Abbie and Jessie each tied a shoe before we helped him to the car.

No comments:
Post a Comment