Sunday, November 22, 2020

So much to be thankful for

Dear family,
It was delightful to join with you today in our visit with Elder and Sister Gong.  As I think about that visit, I really appreciate the fact that other than hiding one basket of laundry, we didn't have to change anything to welcome them virtually into our home.  How blessed I am to be in your family!
Much love,
Dad

Sunday, November 22, 2020
9:25 pm

Sunday is a good day, and today was a good Sunday.  I started with Bishopric and Ward Council meetings this morning.  I appreciate working with good people who want to serve the Lord and serve their fellow ward members. 

After a few tithing settlement interviews I headed home and helped make sure things were ready for our online visit with Elder Gong and his wife.  That was a delightful visit.  I only regret that we didn't have longer to visit.  By the time Elder Gong visited with each member of our (large) family and learned about our interests, there was no time left.  I would have loved to have him teach us from the scriptures or share insights he has gained as he has studied with his brethren in the Quorum of the Twelve.  Oh wait, that's what General Conference is for! 😊

After that visit, I headed back to Church for another interview and a couple meetings.  They went well, and I felt edified when I left Church.

I found the family engaged in a Sunday activity when I got home, using building blocks to create some "thing" from the scriptures, then explaining why this was significant to them.  Then Jessie finished making dinner while Julie and I went to the Swenson's to visit.  They are grieving the death of their daughter, but finding peace in Jesus.  We visited for nearly an hour, and enjoyed some happy memories to go along with the sadness.  I'm not sure if that's peculiar to Latter-day Saints, or if other faiths can mix the bitter and the sweet as naturally as we do.  Before we left I shared a thought from Pres. Packer in 1992, emphasizing the power of temple covenants to overrule the negative influences of this world and bind our families together.  I am comforted and strengthened by those covenants.

Thankful: I am so thankful to be surrounded all day, every day by people who generally share my faith and desire to do good.  At my home, work, and Church, I never hear swearing, encounter inappropriate images, or have to avoid off-color jokes.  Although none of us are perfect, I am blessed to be among people who are good and striving to be better.  That's a wonderful blessing.

Ministering: Today was a day of ministering to others, and it felt refreshing.

More later…


No comments:

Post a Comment