Monday, May 18, 2020

Missionary Relay explanation and more

Dear Sister Payne and Elder Payne,
I love you both!
Love,
Dad

Tonight during normal journal time I was fixing a hole in Emma's bike tire.  I hope the patch holds.  FHE tonight was late but fun.  Julie and Emma had a good lesson on forgiving others.  That is a tough concept for little kids.  When Julie gave the kids realistic scenarios to deal with, they had a hard time figuring out how they would forgive.  Instead they kept trying to diagnose what led to the problem and telling how the person could repent.  That's all good to know, but it's not forgiveness.  I think they learned, but it's probably a lesson that we need to do again in the not-too-distant future.
Our FHE activity was my job.  I brought down two white shirts, two ties, and two pairs of dress shoes.  We divided into teams and had a "missionary relay."  You had to dress in the clothes, run to the computer (because that's where missionary work is taking place today), and write a note to our two missionaries:
1.       One thing you love about Jessie. – It was my activity, so I don't have to limit myself to just one thing.  Some of the things I love about Jessie are her passion and dedication to things that are important to her.  She is amazingly talented in so many things.  And she is humbly good. 
2.       One thing you love about Mark. – Mark is incredible.  He takes after Jessie.  He loves people, even the stinkers.  He is kind and smart and helps people be there best.  And he loves and follows the Lord.
3.       One thing you love about the gospel. – I love the temple.  I'm going there some day!  (Soon, I hope!)  I love the peace and answers that the gospel provides when life seems to have nothing but questions.  I don't know everything, but I know someone who does and I trust him in spite of my weaknesses.
Then eat a multi-vitamin (it was really a sour patch kid) and you're done.  I think the kids had fun with it. I know I did.
Work today was good.  I worked hard.  I got a lot done.  I have more to get done tomorrow.  Sounds like most days.
Thankful: I'm thankful for beautiful spring (and summer) nights.  We have the windows open tonight letting the breeze blow through.  The house was a little too warm earlier, but it is cooling off nicely.  It's so pleasant.  (Wish we could figure out how to keep the tiny bugs from coming in through the screens…)
Ministering: Today was a good ministering day!  I sent a text to Bro. Paulsen to see how he and Sis. Paulsen are doing and to check on Sis. Grayson.  She is doing well in her assisted living facility; no visitors are allowed due to COVID.  I also texted Casey Warren, another member of the high council.  He was fighting a migraine during our meeting. I know how miserable those are, and wanted him to know I was thinking of him.  He's doing better today.  Tonight Spencer and I took a congratulations poster and some cookies to Emma Osborn.  Feels good to try to brighten someone else's day and let them know that they are remembered and important.
Oh, so tired.  Off to bed.  More later
The children in missionary attire writing to real missionaries.





No comments:

Post a Comment