This Sunday went better than some have, but not as well as others. Some highlights include having the sacrament and playing a scripture game. We divided into groups of two people – one older, one younger. The younger person made a two-sided sign with Yes/No or Happy/Sad etc. Each group looked through a chapter of this week's Come, Follow Me material and made a list of five doctrinal statements from the scriptures. The statements could either be true statements, or could be "twisted" to make them false. Then when each person read their statement, we all held up the appropriate side of our sign showing whether it was true or not. It gave us a good opportunity to discuss some doctrinal points and engage everyone. It was sort of modeled after Korihor's practice of manipulating truth to make it appear to support his incorrect beliefs. I think it was an effective activity.
I tried a different recipe today with our pork roast. (Side note – beef is now $7.99 per pound, while pork is under $3 a pound. We have become a family of pork-eaters.) This one included rosemary and fennel. I've never had those spices on a crock pot roast, and it was really good. Only complaint is that we all got full before we were tired of eating. Success!
Poor Emma has had a couple of rough days. She seems to have become quite selfish, thinking only of herself. If she doesn't want to do something, she puts on a sassy face and says it's "boring." Tonight during scriptures I brought her upstairs to put PJ's on since she refused to read with us. I felt good about my approach – I didn't get upset but tried to understand her perspective. I think she is trying to process the turmoil that is the reality with the coronavirus. She missed seeing her friends and teacher at school and wants to go to Primary. I can appreciate those concerns and desires. The tricky part is helping her deal with those legitimate needs in appropriate, constructive ways. Not an easy task for anyone, especially a six-year-old.
Thankful: I am thankful for Julie and the life and family we are building. We seek for ways to serve each other and bring each other joy.
Ministering: I talked with both Pres. Kent and Sis. Pike today about the stake self-reliance program. The fifth ward, along with the rest of the wards in the stake, is trying to provide appropriate support for the self-reliance program. There isn't a lot of interest among stake members for this program. Today I found another simple resource of the program that might be an effective way to introduce people to it. I'm going to explore that a little more this week.
More later…
Our Sunday scripture activity

No comments:
Post a Comment