Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Spring!

Dear Sister Payne and Elder Payne,
Hello missionaries!  I hope you are both doing well in your respective labors.
Jessie, before I forget, we are planning to hold Isaac's baptism next Wednesday, May 27 at 7:00 pm.  I'll send you a Zoom meeting invite separately.  We would love to have you and Sis. Jolley join us, along with any friends you have who may benefit from seeing a baptism!  That would be so amazing!
Tonight Emma was the first one ready for bed, so she and I played 20-questions while we waited for everyone else to get ready.  It was nice.
I hope you have a great night, and look forward to talking to you tomorrow!
Love,
Dad

I re-learned an important lesson today.  The city was doing road work on 800 North outside my office today.  Without any advance notice, they closed the street onto which our drive-thru exits.  Since we already have the lobby closed due to the coronavirus, suddenly we were inaccessible to our members.  At first I was pretty irritated at the situation, but then I realized that being irritated wasn't going to change the situation and would only make me… irritable!  I intentionally chose to laugh about it and move on.  Wow, at 46 years old I can choose to respond, not react.  At least I got it right today.

We had a couple good things happen today, including getting some new audio headsets to improve the way we handle incoming telephone calls.  It's not a "call center," but we're working to become more efficient in the way we handle things.

Tonight Isaac had his baptismal interview with Bishop Lewis.  We are planning to baptism him next Wednesday the 27th.  He has asked Mark to baptize him.  I think that is so cool.  He will get to have his "first baptism" as a missionary while he's still in the MTC. 

I am happy when I remember listening to the Primary Presidency visit with Neil about his upcoming baptism a couple years ago.  They were in the front room while I was working on dinner in the kitchen.  When Neil told them he wanted Mark to baptize him, they gently suggested that his dad might feel otherwise.  I cheerfully told them I was perfectly happy with Neil asking Mark to perform the ordinance.  I can think of nothing better than watching one honorable, worthy son administer this saving ordinance to one of his siblings.  As amazing an experience as it is to baptize your child, somehow that is even better.  Besides, I'll still be the one to confirm him.  It will be a great experience.

Thankful: I am grateful that I can choose my response to things that happen.  A small thing like the road work today is really insignificant, but it reminds me of what is really important.  I'm also thankful for a beautiful spring day.  I took two walks today (drop off books at the BYU library for Mark and drop off Abbie's mouth x-ray to the oral surgeon's office in preparation for her wisdom tooth surgery next Friday.)  The weather was delightful both times.

Ministering: I had a nice visit with a credit union member today that was mutually-ministering.  It was also nice to visit with Bishop Lewis for a bit this evening.

More later…

I didn't take any photos today, so here's a great one from the archive!  What a great trip this was!!


No comments:

Post a Comment